I just got back from the Rose Park Ward girls camp. I'm exhausted and dirty, with a pretty good sunburn and a couple of blisters, and a whole new love for my young women. I left on Monday afternoon with the 6th years to spend the night at my father's cabin in Palisades. It a tradition for the 6th years to go up a night early. Their last year is bittersweet as they are anxious to move on to the next step in their lives. The extra night allows them to bond and to remember all the good times they've had at girls camp. On Tuesday, we drove to camp at Big Elk Creek and watched as everyone else arrived and helped set up camp. We did certification and team games. Tuesday night we had skit night. The theme was a Miss America pagent with 4 categories: talent, interview, dance, and fashion. I've never laughed so hard in my life! Wednesday was the hike. We hiked to the lower Palisades lake, which was 4 miles up and 4 miles down, total of 8 miles. Josh came up to be one of the priesthood leaders on the hike. The Young Women's President said, "Berries go to the front to lead the group. Go at a good quick pace." So that we did. Josh was almost at a jogging pace the whole time and I was almost running to keep up with him. By the time we reached the top, only 1 girl had kept up with us, a few others came quickly after, and 20 minutes later, we had the whole group. Everyone made it to the top! A few out of breath girls said, "Brother and Sister Berry are on steroids!" I secretly wanted to scream, "Yeah baby!" I have been working hard to get in shape and I was so impressed with myself that I could lead the group. Overall we had way too much fun. For those of you who are friends with me on facebook, I'll post all the pictures there. There are way too many to put all of them on this blog!
1st years rock! Don't they look a little nervous :)
2nd and 3rd years are seasoned and excited about girls camp!
Whitney, a 1st year, during the fashion show part of skit night.
Josh and I on the hike.
What's he pointing at? I don't know but he looks cool, so whatever.
Me on the ledge. 
The first half of the girls to finish the hike.
1st years enjoying smores.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Girls Camp 2009!
Posted by Katie at 9:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comments:
I'm so glad that I got to go to camp, even if it was just for a day. I love the Young Women in our ward! They are so wonderful and teach me more than I teach them I think. Anyways, thanks for posting some pictures. I'm sad that I missed the skit night. Cheryl was just telling me last night at stake conference how hilarious it was.
Post a Comment