I love my Haylie Jo. I absolutely love my Haylie Jo. I adore my Haylie Jo. Oh, did I tell you that I love my little Haylie Jo? So, why her? Why does she have to combat such pain at such a young age? What pain am I speaking of? The pain caused by being friendless and the occasional bully. It started last year, when she was in preschool. She would pick out the most adorable dress to wear, ask for her hair in pigtails, and skip merrily out of the car to the preschool door. This lasted a month. She soon began to say she didn't like preschool, then she didn't want to go to preschool, then she started faking sick. I talked to her teacher who told me that Haylie was just a little quieter than the rest of the kids (shocking, I know), and that she was content just to color while the other kids played. Finally, halfway through the year, Haylie told me what was going on. No one would play with her or let her play with them, that was why she was coloring all the time. Oh, it gets worse. Kids actually wouldn't even sit by her, the teacher would make some whining kid sit by her! She came home crying and told me that she would sit by someone, and they would get up and move to another chair. Now, she had a shower every morning and was potty trained (except the occasional accident), so she wasn't putting kids off physically at least. This happened everyday at preschool the whole year. I talked to the teacher and she told me that most of the kids in the class came from the same neighborhood (not ours) and were already friends before the year started. She assured me that it was just the group of kids, nothing likely to be repeated...
This year seemed to be off to a good start. She would come home babbling about so and so and tell me who she sat by at lunch. Soon, she was only talking about boys, then she wasn't talking about anyone at all. Then the birthday parties started. After a few parties, which she was not invited to, she got into the car one day after school and said, "(crying)Why doesn't anyone invite me to their birthday parties?" How does a mother respond to that? I am the librarian and room mother for her kindergarten class so I've gotten to know the kids quite well. All of them seem very nice and I haven't noticed Haylie doing anything to put them off. Only last week Haylie came home to tell me that _____ told ______ to tell Haylie that she didn't want to be Haylie's friend. WHAT THE HECK!!!!! What is going on?
Growing up, I was always surrounded by friends. I made friends easily and never had any "bullies". I never remember a time where I would have to search for a friend to play with, or when I got older, go shopping with. Josh made friends easily as well. My little Jozlyn is following in the same footsteps. As a baby, she would ignite the ooohhhs and aaawwws from everyone. She would smilingly reach to be held by anyone. As she got older, the adoration for her has only intensified. In preschool, she had to wear an eye-patch for a few months due to her eye problems. All the kids told her it was cool and one's girl mom told me that her daughter begged her dad to make her an eye patch to wear just like Jozzy's! In kindergarten, she was the sought after friend at our neighborhood school, then, she transferred to White Pine Charter School and 2 weeks later had at least 7 friends to invite over for her birthday. This year, she has a couple of close friends but is friends with virtually everyone. She sticks up for others, is kind to everyone, listens well, and is the kind of bubbly girly-girl that everyone loves. To boil it down, Jozlyn is a pleaser. She will do anything to make someone else happy and she is happiest when someone else is happy.
My Haylie Jo is the complete opposite of Jozlyn. She doesn't like to play with dolls or makeup. She could care less about ribbons in her hair or the oh so cute dress I picked out for her to wear. She does not try to please others, she tries to please herself. Not in a selfish way, in an "I'm original" kind of way. She's the type that would color a horse purple and when another kid would say, "Horses aren't purple. Why did you color it purple, that's wrong," Haylie would reply, "So what? I like purple. My horse can be purple." That's my Haylie Jo. She is definitely not a follower, a good thing in my eyes. She is also kind and wants fairness for everyone. So why her? I have often wondered if she is doing something to distance friends. I just can't figure it out. Why wouldn't everyone want to be friends with this beautiful, unique, spirited, loving girl of mine? I was hoping that the preschool thing was a fluke, but this year's experience so far has me wondering if this is going to be a long battle. One thing's for sure, both of my girls have a soft spot in their heart for the lonely already. They both understand what's it like to be lonely, Haylie from experience, Jozlyn from watching Haylie's experience. Words cannot express how much it hurts me to see my baby hurt. What's worse is that I can't patch it up with a bandaide and a kiss to make it all better. I have shed many tears already and I wonder how many more are to come.
A request to end this post...parents, please talk to your kids about how we treat others. I'm not saying that your kids (or mine) have to be best friends with everyone, but why can't they at least be nice? Teach them empathy, ask them how it would feel if they were in that kind of situation. Tell them a kind smile and a few minutes on the slide with a lonely soul does not cost them much, but will ease the heartache of a mother and that lonely soul all day long.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Why Her???
Posted by Katie at 12:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









5 comments:
Oh, Katie! My heart is aching with you and for Haylie! I've been on both sides of the fence...the one to be shy and quiet and lonely, and the one to have friends to giggle with. I wish I had some encouraging words! We'll keep Haylie Jo in our prayers, and definitely do our best to teach our children those important friendship actions. :) Hugs to you and Haylie!
How heartbreaking :(. That's just awful. That's always been one of the things I've always been so nervous about with raising kids. I hope she can find a good group of nice kids to play with. Why are kids so mean sometimes?! I just don't get it.
Katie,
Im so sorry to hear Haylie Jo is having such a hard time. She is such a beautiful girl I cant imagine anyone treating her like that. That breaks my heart, I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers I hope things turn around for her. My boys are still too young for that but I think about it all the time and I cant imagine how much it would break my heart to have other kids treat them badly. Im so sorry for her she will find a great group of friends Im sure of it. I will definately teach my boys to treat other kids good when they start school. Hang in there sweetie!
Emily
Katie, this is so sad and I am with you how it makes us as moms heart ache. Alaina has dealt with the same stuff. Kids saying they don't want to be her friend one day and the next they do. I surely hope Alaina is not one who is hurting Hailey. If she is, i will defintetly talk to her. I ask her all the time who she sits by on the bus and she says Jozyln usually and i say, why not Hailey and she says, cuz Hailey just doesn't want to sit by me or play with me. Its interesting to see the points of view from the kids cuz often it is so different. I think Hailey is a doll. I feel with you the pain of when your own kid is sad and doesn't it just make ya want to fix everything for them? This parent thing is not easy dang it... You are so awesome and have such a tender, sweet heart. Thanks for your friendship. loves, Melissa
Haylie is a fun little girl. Next year Abby will be there with her at school. Abby is a lot like Haylie. I hope things get better!!
Post a Comment