Those of you who know me, knows that I am a reformed, in-your-face, brat. When I was a angst-ridden teenager I had no trouble telling you how it was and setting you right. I was exactly as I said, an in-your-face, brat! I'm not proud of this, in fact, I get embarrassed when I remember those times and how immature I was. Now, I'm reformed. I tip-toe around everyone in hopes that I will never offend anyone. I have realized that I want everyone to love me instantly, and I get really uncomfortable when I feel like I've said something wrong. As a result of this new found attitude, I feel much better about myself and my relationships with others. I pride myself on being able to talk to anyone and form a friendship. I smile at people in the halls at school, I strike up a conversation with the next customer in line at the grocery store, I find something good in everyone. However, there are still a few times that I wish I had a little of that spunk I had as a teen. I'm afraid of the spunk, tell it as it is, person I was and have gone the opposite way. Every once in a while I wish I didn't hold my tongue and let that spunky old me take over.
Well, it happened tonight. My two nephews had wrestling meets tonight (they are 7 and 4). I have found that the only time that spunk comes back is at sporting events. There have been many times when I couldn't hold my tongue at Josh's soccer games. I just get so riled up and can't seem to picture the other team as being friendly, I always think of them as "the others". Wrestling is even worse. There is so much pressure on 1 person. If you lose, your team doesn't lose, you do! This makes it ultra-competitive. Well, tonight my nephew was wrestling and long story short, the mom of the other wrestler was saying negative things about my family. After the meet I told her in a calm manner, "That is my family you're talking about and I'd appreciate it if you could stop talking about them like that." She of course had a rebuttal and from there the spunky me came out something fierce. We traded words for a few minutes and went on our way. I was slightly proud of defending my family's honor but felt like I let the immaturity slip back into me. I only allow myself to watch my nephews wrestle a few times a year because it just brings out the worst in me. I guess that the spunk isn't gone for good. I can keep it in check most of the time. But mess with my family....and the fierce mama bear comes out! I just can't be good all of the time!
Thursday, November 12, 2009
I can't be good all of the time!
Posted by Katie at 7:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Ha! I love it! You are like one of the sweetest people I know so I would have loved to have witnessed your spunk coming out! I think that's a good balance, you need a little of both sometimes!
I am a few years behind you because I am not trying that hard yet! I know you are right about feeling better but I am just so great at "spunk"...! Thanks for the good read! I want to be like you when I grow up!
Post a Comment