Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day thoughts

So, as today is Mother's Day, I took a few minutes to reflect on the many mothers in my life as well as my own life as a mother. I often wonder if I'm doing the best job I can as a mother. There are many days when I find myself wondering how many times I yelled at my children today, and I sometimes go to sleep wondering how much damage I might have done to them. Talking to other mothers I know that many of us feel the same way. But then I try to count how many times I hugged, kissed, or cared for my children in the day, too many times to count. I am the one who buys the cute dresses and does their hair up in bows. I am the one who gets them off to school on time every morning. I am the one who takes them to church, teaches them to pray, teaches them to love Jesus and to follow his example. I take them to Ballet three times a week between the two of them. I sometimes think I should have a special part in the recital as I am there as much as the level 3 girls! I spend hours helping with costumes, dress rehearsals, and performances. I think back to my own mother and how much she loved me. Yes, there were times when she yelled at me, but there were so many times more that she cared for me. She always would do something special for me every holiday, whether it be Valentine's or Halloween. She was the room mother for my class every year and she was the room mother for my brother and sister's classes as well. She always loved me. So, on Mother's Day, all you mothers try to reflect on the good that you do. Realize that you will lose your temper and sometimes yell, but your children still know you love them and are quick to forgive. Wake up every morning with the motivation to do better and to be a better person. And don't forget to hug and kiss as much as you can!

0 comments: