Monday, March 8, 2010

Simply HIRED!

Yes, I, Katie Berry, was offered a job today! Hip hip hooray! Last semester I began thinking about where I would like to work. I began looking for part time work from the beginning of January. Unfortunately, with no experience, still waiting for that bachelor's degree (due to come May 8th), and the sluggish economy, the process was very slow. I couldn't do PSR work until I earned my bachelor's, and frankly I wasn't sure if PSR was what I wanted to do anyway. Well, I started thinking about working in a hospital setting like State Hospital South or the Behavioral Health Center, part of EIRMC here in Idaho Falls. I tried to contact a few people in those settings, but both are kept secure, so secure that I had a hard time even talking to anyone but a receptionist. Bless my father who is so well-connected in the community. He talked to someone who gave me a direct phone number to someone I could talk to about job opportunities. One phone call, an application, another phone call, a 1 1/2 very in depth behavioral based interview, a weekend's wait and a combined process taking 3 weeks later = a job offer today! Thank goodness for my sweet Daddy (Yes, I still call him Daddy) who helps me and my family any way he possibly can. I must say I'm a little embarrassed that I have to rely on his help to get a job, but hey, I'm not above it. It's all about who you know and I'm so thankful that he knows virtually everyone in the neighboring states and in the medical community across the U.S. I'm fairly sure that Josh will also have to name drop a little bit after grad school to get the position he wants. Oh well, whatever to support our family.

I'll be working per diem at the Behavioral Health Center in IF. I was assured that I could work full-time hours as a per diem employee. I wanted to be considered a full-time employee, but they only hire their full-time and part-time employees from their per diem pool. Hopefully I'll be able to prove myself quickly and a full-time position will become available soon. I will also have opportunities to move up within BHC. Plus, this position will look awesome on my resume! Where would I get more diverse experience in the field of mental health? Oh, another plus... I will work 12 hour shifts which will be exhausting, but that means I'll get 3-4 days off per week.

So, a little update about our family. The last few posts I've done has seemed to be little on the pessimistic side. I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder and as such, from November until about April, the pessimist in me comes out full force. I've known I've had this since I was 15 and have never needed to go on medication. I do natural things like exercise, get outside even if it's cold, soak up as much sunlight as possible, keep myself busy and productive, and surround myself with people who love and support me. When I do these things I can maintain a healthy mood and avoid the drastic ups and downs associated with SADS. The last few years I've barely noticed the weather change at all...until this year. Taking online classes has allowed me much more time at home. This is a good thing but I do get lonely quite a bit. With the girls and Josh away at school all day long it makes for a very quiet house. Silent house + winter weather + loneliness = SADS returned. Well, if I can admit to myself what my problem is, then I can do things to change my situation. I've talked to Josh a lot, I text him at least 5 times a day. I've also talked to a few close friends about my situation. The most helpful thing I've done is to turn to my Heavenly Father. Well, I'm back to feeling better although my mood does change quite a bit. I don't feel bad about the last posts I've done. I was able to express the way I was feeling at that moment. I think we do a disservice to each other in covering up our problems. We can learn so much from each other when we are open and honest. This is what I'm hoping I've done for a few other people.

Okay, so family update. Haylie Jo's friend situation is not as bad as I made it seem. She doesn't really mind spending time alone, she just doesn't like it when kids are mean to her. Who can blame her? She is a unique little girl and as such, has a hard time finding friends with common interests. She does have friends, she just doesn't have a close friend. I have no doubt that her experiences are not damaging her in any way. She loves spending time with her cousins, who she considers her best friends. As they will be the ones who stick around for life, I should be thankful things are this way. Jozlyn is the same old lovable girly-girl. She has improved her grades from last trimester and worked hard to achieve her goals. She is performing in Coppelia in 2 weeks. Stay tuned for photos. Josh is busier than ever, but seems to have finally settled into his program. He doesn't seem nearly as stressed as last semester and expresses enthusiasm for his subject. Me, well I'm trucking along. Getting those last assignments done and looking forward to working. I'm definitely nervous about becoming the family bread winner. I do feel a weight on my shoulders. I'm just glad I have so much support from family and friends. So, I will try to make my posts more optimistic in the future. I will also purchase that singing fish to inspire me... "Don't worry. Be happy...."

6 comments:

Amberly said...

Congratulations!! Very exciting!!

Tim and Stacey Cardon said...

Yea! I'm so excited for you and your new job, and that you're almost finished with school! Good changes are ahead and you deserve them. I totally get the pessimist coming out during these crapy winter months, don't apologize! Sometimes you just need to get some things out! Sound like things are definitely looking up...and it's feeling like SPRING!! YEA!

Deanna said...

Congratulations on the great job!!! Sounds like an awesome opportunity!!

I would never have guessed that you struggle with being upbeat and happy during this time of year. When I see you (which is honestly only on Sundays) you seem to have it all together. :) hugs!

Jen said...

Katie, you are amazing! Congrats on the new job. I am SOO excited for you! And don't worry about pulling strings through your dad. I got my job through my mom. Ha ha! Whatever works, right?

Unknown said...

You rock lady. Congrats on it all and hang in there with the crazy days ahead. Hope your job is working out good for you. See ya soon...Em

WhitneyNTyson said...

You work with ME now :) I added you to my blog.....